Mobile apps are different than other customer channels. The rules of engagement with mobile apps is also very different. Why? Mobile is a direct and personal communication channel of which users are very protective. And that’s why brands have to earn their places in their user’s mobile screen. And this is no mean feat considering most of brands already have or are building mobile apps to market their products and services. The other challenge comes from entertainment and utility apps which take most of the user’s interest and screen space. So how can brand increase the chances of their apps attracting consumer’s interest? The answer lies in providing value to the customers.
- The most common use of mobile apps for brands was to communicate with customers (83%). Source: Adobe Survey
- Customer service or support (79%), product information(74%), transactions (69%) and brand engagement (67%). Source: Adobe Survey
So how can a brand create value in their apps for customers? Here are 3 ways brands can engage customers better through their apps, earn their loyalty and achieve their business objectives:
- 1. Entertain: Engage via entertainment. People love to get entertained and it’s easy for brands to send their message across using emotions. So your app must have entertainment features. It can be in the form a good story with your brand message embed in to it or a game that allows your users to earn points, badges and status etc. Anything which will make your user to come back to your app and has the potential to take a pie of his mobile time regularly will do.
- 2. Inform: Your app must able to inform the users about your various products and services. So pack your app with all the key information for the users to visit it at the time of need. For example, a retailer’s app must provide catalog of its products, its availability, pricing information and maps etc., for the customers to guide into its stores. Moreover, the app should also be able to communicate information on latest deals and offers for the customers.
- 3. Action: Your mobile branded app must also enable action by users when needed. So, if you are an automobile manufacturer then your app must allow users to book test rides, download product brochures or book an appointment with your sales team. Banking apps must allow users to check-in to their accounts and make transactions.
To create value to customers, brands must mix and match the above three elements. In addition, putting customer at the heart of your mobile marketing strategy is crucial. A study by webappy highlights that usability and user experience are critical to mobile users. Designing an app that is user-friendly, rich in experience and provides value will ensure success to your mobile marketing.A proper mix depending on your offerings, messaging and business objectives will not only help you earn loyal users but also get you better ROI from your mobile initiatives.